Editorial Team Call
Call for Applications for Editors, Literacy Research and Instruction
Quarterly journal of the Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers
Applications must be submitted by February 15, 2018
Applications are being accepted from teams of committed and enthusiastic literacy professionals for the position of editors of the Literacy Research and Instruction. This peer-reviewed journal publishes articles on aspects of literacy related to the four major areas of the organization: teacher education, college reading, clinical, and adult learning. The editors manage the review and publication processes to ensure a quality publication. A valuable and unique service to ALER and to the literacy profession in general, this editorship opportunity comes only once every three years. Please seriously consider working with a team of colleagues to submit an application. Applicants must be current ALER members.
- Encourage manuscript submissions
- Recruit reviewers
- Prepare semi-annual reports of accept/reject decisions for ALER Board of Directors
- Work with Taylor and Francis to produce the journal
- At least one member of the editorial team will attend the ALER annual meeting* each fall to
- Attend the ALER Board meeting & Publication Committee meeting
- Present at the Editorial Board Appreciation Breakfast
- Co-host a session for prospective authors
- Give activity report at the Legislative Assembly
- Produce 4 issues a year of which one may be a themed issue
Applications, which must be submitted electronically, should contain the following:
1. Mission statement
2. Specific goals for the Literacy Research and Instruction
3. Qualifications of applicant/s
4. Demonstration of previous editorial experiences and editing skills
5. Curriculum vitae for each applicant that indicates a record of scholarly and professional activities
6. Evidence of institutional support (from each institution represented)
7. Statement of logistics (including a manuscript process flow chart that delineates a proposed timeline and the roles/responsibilities of each team member)
8. Sample call for manuscripts
9. Sample call for reviewers
All applications will be reviewed by members of the ALER Publications Committee.
Recommendations for appointment as editors will be forwarded to the ALER Executive Board for approval. The new editors will be announced in spring 2019 and will then produce Literacy Research and Instruction for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The new editors will begin receiving manuscripts in summer 2019 with their first issue due to be published in January 2020. The last issue for this team of editors will be fall 2022.
Send all application materials electronically on or before February 15, 2019 to:
Sheri Vasinda, Chair, ALER Publications Committee
*Funding for conference attendance is the responsibility of each member.
Members Only Link
Membership in the Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers
includes a subscription to Literacy Research and Instruction.
Members only link to LRI archives