Dear ALER Members,
This year the Awards Committee will be seeking nominations for the following six awards for 2020 until October 12.
It is important that we honor our colleagues for their service to ALER and awards are one way in which we show our appreciation. We know that this can be a busy time of year, but please take a few minutes to consider worthy colleagues. Nominations are due by October 12, 2020 for the following:
· The A. B. Herr Award for distinguished service in the literacy profession
· The Albert J. Mazurkiewicz Special Services Award for special service and/or significant contributions to ALER
· The ALER Laureate Awardfor mentoring/teaching, longevity in ALER, collaborative scholarship, and participation in ALER leadership and events
· The Jerry Johns Promising Researcher Award to honor and support research by a junior ALER member who has distinguished themselves in early career scholarship
· The Judy Richardson Literacy as a Living Legacy Award to support a literacy-related project associated with an existing need in a community or school
· The Mary F. Roe Equity in Literacy Education Award which targets middle grades (6-8) students and their teachers with attention on equity and its link to literacy achievement.
The links above will give you more details about the various awards and their criteria. All nominations for the five awards listed above are due to Connie Briggs at email@example.com by October 12, 2020.
As per ALER procedures, current ALER members may nominate current ALER members for award consideration. The Awards Committee recommends winners which are then approved by the Executive Committee.
Prior to completing a nomination, please review the past award recipients on the ALER website. In your nomination letter, please include the following:
a) the award you are nominating for,
b) the name and institutional affiliation of the nominee, and
c) why your nominee is deserving of the special ALER recognition. We will need C.V.s for the A.B. Herr Award and the Jerry Johns Promising Researcher Award.
* Please note: Calls for the ALER Outstanding Masters Research Paper Award, the Outstanding Dissertation Award, and the Research Grant come out separately from the ALER Research Committee.
Should you have any questions about the awards or the nomination process, please feel free to contact me or refer to the ALER website, www.aleronline.org. The award recipients will be announced virtually in November as well as be honored at ALER 2021.
A. B. Herr Award
Albert J. Mazurkiewicz Special Services Award
ALER Laureate Award
J. Estill Alexander Future Leaders in Literacy Award
The Jerry Johns Promising Researcher Award
The Judy Richardson Literacy as a Living Legacy Award
The Mary F. Roe Equity in Literacy Education Award
ALER Research Grant