Dear ALER Members,
This year the Awards Committee will be seeking nominations for the following 5 awards for 2019 during the month of August beginning on August 1st until August 31st.
It is important that we honor our colleagues for their service to ALER and awards are one way in which we show our appreciation. We know that August can be a busy time of year, but please take a few minutes to consider worthy colleagues. Nominations are due by September 1, 2019 for the following:
· The A. B. Herr Award for distinguished service in the literacy profession
· The Albert J. Mazurkiewicz Special Services Award for special service and/or significant contributions to ALER
· The ALER Laureate Awardfor mentoring/teaching, longevity in ALER, collaborative scholarship, and participation in ALER leadership and events
· The Jerry Johns Promising Researcher Award to honor and support research by a junior ALER member who has distinguished themselves in early career scholarship
· The Judy Richardson Literacy as a Living Legacy Award to support a literacy-related project associated with an existing need in a community or school
The links above will give you more details about the various awards and their criteria. All nominations for the five awards listed above are due to Tami Craft Al-Hazza at email@example.com by September 1, 2019.
As per ALER procedures, current ALER members may nominate current ALER members for award consideration. The Awards Committee recommends winners which are then approved by the Executive Committee.
Prior to completing a nomination, please review the past award recipients on the ALER website. In your nomination letter, please include the following:
a) the award you are nominating for,
b) the name and institutional affiliation of the nominee, and
c) why your nominee is deserving of the special ALER recognition. We will need C.V.s for the A.B. Herr Award and the Jerry Johns Promising Researcher Award.
* Please note: Calls for the ALER Outstanding Masters Research Paper Award, the Outstanding Dissertation Award, and the Research Grant come out separately from the ALER Research Committee.
Should you have any questions about the awards or the nomination process, please feel free to contact me or refer to the ALER website, www.aleronline.org. The award recipients will be announced at the 2019 ALER Conference.
A. B. Herr Award
Albert J. Mazurkiewicz Special Services Award
ALER Laureate Award
J. Estill Alexander Future Leaders in Literacy Award
The Jerry Johns Promising Researcher Award
The Judy Richardson Literacy as a Living Legacy Award
ALER Research Grant